Hansa Brewery [Cleveland]
Guten Tag und willkommen to another Fermenting Ohio journey! This time we're traveling once again to Ohio City, but with some added German flair, so hike up your lederhosen and settle in.
When you enter Hansa Brewery you are met with the soft lull of accordion music and are transported across the pond with the atmosphere, food, and especially the beers.
Hansa has six house beers available year round and adds some interesting cameos from time to time. These beers are limited only by the imagination of head brewer Corey Miller (we'll be posting our Ohio Brewer's Spotlight interview with Corey next week, stay tuned!). I got to try all the beers currently on tap and here's the list:
- FemDom Kolsch
- J.U.G. Weissbeer
- Wildcard German IPA
- Black Flag Schwarzbier
- Hansanator Doppelbock
- Winzig Haus Bier
- ZipperMask Black IPA
- Bye Felicia! Nut Brown Ale
- Aura of Menace Blackberry Porter on Nitro
- Bye Felicia! was quite nice but gets extra points in my book for the bomb name. Actually, the list has several note worthy names, something I totally appreciate.
- Winzig Haus Bier - This is another beer that gave me a chance to taste something new. It is a smoked sour, an often underappreciated form of brew that nods to the days when all beer had sour elements (before modern sanitation practices, a time when bacteria ran wild on hands and beer alike!) and when malt was dried over a campfire. The smoke and sour flavors were evenly matched, neither outdid the other and it was really just a cool drink to experience.
- Aura of Menace Blackberry Porter - I know some purists don't like to "fruit a beer" but I wholeheartedly disagree with them, particularly when I come across beers designed like this one. It was a smoothness of a porter on nitro with a kiss of blackberry, I didn't find it menacing at all, in fact I ordered a growler to go (and got the unexpected surprise of an AWESOME piece of glassware to add to the collection).
- Multiple stalls in the restrooms, yay!
- Large bar with restaurant that served up perhaps one of the best bowls of chicken soup I've had the privilege of tasting, I'm sure their full blown German fare is amazing and worthy of your time.
- Only to-go size is the growler featured above, but who wouldn't want that glass?
- Full bar and several guest beers available.
- Just behind the bar wall is the import store where you can find many brews and other items from lands far away, it's a place that has become a staple in Ohio City and has been around for over 50 years, definitely worth a peek in if you're already at the brewery.
Hansa Brewery 2717 Lorain Avenue, Cleveland OH 44113, USA. https://hansabrewery.com/